Both the Czech Republic’s Filip Ospaly and the United States’ Mary Beth Ellis have solidified their spots at pre-race contenders at September’s Ironman World Championship 70.3 race with dominant victories in Norway on Sunday.
Ospaly posted fast times on the swim, bike and run to beat out Denmark’s Rasmus Henning. He crossed the finish line at 3:47:22, eight minutes ahead of Henning.
Ellis had competition from Denmark’s Michelle Vesterby on the swim and bike, but pulled away on the run and took the win in 4:16:09.
Ironman 70.3 Haugesund
Haugesund, Norway – July 8, 2012
1.2-mile swim, 56-mile bike, 13.1-mile run
1. Filip Ospaly (CZE) 3:47:22
2. Rasmus Henning (DEN) 3:54:31
3. Gudmund Snilstveit (NOR) 3:57:33
4. Chrisian Nitschke (GER) 3:59:02
5. Marc Widmer (SUI) 4:02:42
1. Mary Beth Ellis (USA) 4:16:09
2. Michelle Vesterby (DEN) 4:24:24
3. Jeanne Collonge (FRA) 4:25:18
4. Kristin Lie (NOR) 4:35:40
5. Lisbeth Kristiansen (DEN) 4:36:43