Switzerland’s Ronnie Schildknecht took the Ironman Switzerland win for the sixth year in a row, while Hungary’s Erika Csomor improved on her third-place finish from 2011 by taking the win.
Schildknecht combined a 55:38 swim, 4:27:42 bike and a 2:51:29 marathon to take the 8:17:13 victory, easily beating out his competition. Another Swiss athlete, Jan Van Berkel, took second thanks to a well-rounded day across swim, bike and run. Mathias Hecht made it an all-Swiss podium, earning third.
Csomor used a 1:02:12 swim, a 5:03:47 bike and a 3:11:37 marathon to take the women’s title in 9:20:16. Great Britain’s Bella Bayliss, who welcomed a baby less than a year ago, finished second. Simone Brandli was the first Swiss female across the line in third.
Zurich, Switzerland – July 15, 2012
2.4-mile swim, 112-mile bike, 26.2-mile run
1. Ronnie Schildknecht (SUI) 8:17:13
2. Jan Van Berkel (SUI) 8:32:27
3. Mathias Hecht (SUI) 8:42:08
4. Sergio Marques (POR) 8:43:12
5. Scott DeFilippis (USA) 8:46:42
1. Erika Csomor (HUN) 9:20:16
2. Bella Bayliss (GBR) 9:25:54
3. Simone Brandli (SUI) 9:30:58
4. Regula Rohrbach (SUI) 9:35:10
5. Monique Grossrieder (SUI) 9:55:40