Bison burgers are the perfect treat after a mammoth training session or long race. That juicy and savory bite that you crave with significantly less fat and cholesterol as ground beef. Loaded with protein and iron to replenish your tired muscles. Slather this burger with a warm tomato, onion, and amber ale relish and you will be licking your fingers.
Note: Ground bison can be found next to the ground beef in most grocery stores.
20-24 oz ground bison
1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
1 1/2 Tbsp stone ground mustard
1 tsp salt
1 tsp fresh cracked pepper
Tomato, Onion and Amber Ale Relish
1 small yellow onion, sliced
2 large on-the-vine tomatoes, chopped
½ cup amber ale (pale ales, IPAs, lagers also work)
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 tsp agave
½ tsp salt
½ tsp freshly cracked pepper
1. Whisk together all ingredients, except the bison. With clean hands, gently fold in the bison and form four patties.
2. Heat grill to medium-high. Grill patties approximately 6 minutes per side for medium doneness. Let rest 2-3 min before eating.
Tomato, Onion and Amber Ale relish
1. Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions, salt and pepper and sauté 5-6 minutes, until slightly caramelized.
2. Add tomatoes and agave and toss to combine.
3. Add amber ale and cook about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until all the ale has been reduced.
Jessica Cerra is the owner of Fit Food by Jess, a private chef and catering company in Encinitas, Calif. She is also a professional Xterra triathlete and mountain biker. Follow Jess’ recipes on her “Fit Food by Jess” Facebook page.