As little morsels of super food, berries are loaded with vitamins, minerals and antioxidants eager to help repair and restore you from all of that hard training. While they are often reserved for breakfast, berries can brighten up savory dishes as well. Here are two easy, eye-catching dishes for your summer menu.
Seared Ahi with Strawberry-Cucumber Salad
Makes 4 servings
16 oz sashimi grade ahi
1 cup strawberries, sliced thinly
1 cup Persian mini cucumbers, sliced thinly
2 Tbsp sparkling water
½ Tbsp white wine or champagne vinegar
½ tsp agave
2 Tbsp fresh basil, julienned
1 Tbsp, plus 1 tsp grape seed oil
½ Serrano pepper
1. Finely dice the Serrano pepper. Leaving the seeds in will make it spicier and removing the seeds will make it milder. Make sure to thoroughly wash your hands after working with this pepper or where plastic gloves while working with it.
2. In a small saucepan, heat 1 Tbsp of grape seed oil. Add the Serrano pepper and sauté for 30 seconds. Turn off heat and let the flavor of the pepper marry with the oil while preparing the rest of the dish.
3. Heat the grill to medium high. Massage 1 tsp grape seed oil, with a sprinkle of salt and pepper, onto the Ahi. Grill 10 seconds per side for very medium rare. This can also be done in a very hot pan for 5 seconds per side. Slice thinly once cooled.
4. In a medium bowl, whisk together sparkling water, vinegar and agave. Add in strawberry, cucumber and basil and toss gently to cover with the vinaigrette.
5. Arrange Ahi slices on the plate along with alternating pieces of cucumber and strawberry for a beautiful presentation. Drizzle the Serrano oil over the Ahi.