Five weeks after suffering serious injuries in a bicycle accident that could have left him a paraplegic, Lukas Verzbicas walked out of a Colorado Springs hospital Tuesday with hopes of resuming his career as an elite triathlete.
Verzbicas broke six ribs, his right clavicle and two thoracic vertebrae, along with a punctured lung, when he crashed into a guard rail while on a ride July 31 in the Garden of the Gods.
“I could have been a paraplegic or even worse,” said Verzbicas, 19. “They told me I could have passed away, so I feel very lucky that I’m still here and that I’m recovering so fast.”
Verzbicas is a highly regarded prospect from the Chicago area who moved to Colorado Springs to train at the Olympic Training Center and attend the University of Colorado-Colorado Springs. His spinal cord was damaged in the accident, but not permanently.
Read more: Denverpost.com
– Video: Lukas Verzbicas One Month After His Crash
– Video: Lukas Verzbicas’ Road To Recovery
– Lukas Verzbicas Talks About Bike Crash
– Photos: On Location With Lukas Verzbicas
– Photos: Lukas Verzbicas’ Bike Fit
– Fitting Lukas Verzbicas
– U.S. Sweeps Gold In Spain
– Photos: Americans On Top In Banyoles