The seasonal offerings at the local farmer’s market inspired this salad recipe. Whether you get the ingredients from the farmer’s market or from the grocery store, they are robust and flavorful this time of year. A mixture of grilled veggies and fresh veggies are a unique twist in this hearty salad.
6 cups spring mix
2 small golden potatoes
2 small red potatoes
2 ears corn, husks removed
1 yellow/summer squash
2 golden tomatoes, diced
1 red pepper, seeds removed and diced
2 small avocados
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
4 basil leaves
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1/2 teaspoon agave
Salt and Pepper
1. To make the basil vinaigrette: combine the basil, olive oil, balsamic, agave and a sprinkle of salt and pepper in a blender for 30 seconds.
2. Wash all of veggies, including the lettuce and pad dry with a clean dish towel.
3. Heat the grill to medium-high. Slice the potatoes into thin coins. In a bowl toss them with a small amount of olive oil, salt and pepper. Grill 4-5 minutes per side.
4. Grill the corn 2-3 minutes per side.
5. Slice the yellow squash into thick coins. Spray the grill with non-stick spray and grill 2 minutes per side.
6. Set the veggies from the grill aside and let them cool for 5 minutes.
7. Fill a large bowl or serving platter with the spring mix. Add the tomatoes and red pepper.
8. Holding the corn upright over the spring mix, use a knife to slice downward so the kernels fall into the salad.
9. Dice the potatoes and summer squash and add them to the bowl.
10. Add the sunflower seeds. Toss the salad to combine all the veggies with the spring mix. The salad may be tossed with a conservative amount of the basil dressing or it may be served on the side.
11. Slice the avocado and serve the slices over the top of the salad.
Jessica Cerra is the owner of Fit Food by Jess, a private chef and catering company in Encinitas, Calif. She is also a professional Xterra triathlete and mountain biker. Follow Jess’ recipes on her “Fit Food by Jess” Facebook page.
Get the latest in triathlon training, gear, nutrition and news sent straight to your inbox. Sign up for Triathlete’s newsletter.