Whip up a batch of these baked oatmeal squares for an on-the-go breakfast, afternoon snack, or fuel for your jersey pocket. They are also a tasty and healthy idea for your kid’s lunch or snack.
Makes 15 oatmeal squares
1 cup whole rolled oats
1 cup steel-cut oats
1 cup banana chips (unsweetened if possible)
½ cup unsweetened, shredded coconut
½ cup toasted, chopped pecans
1 teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
2 cups sweetened vanilla almond milk
1/3 cup agave
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. In a medium bowl, thoroughly stir together all of the ingredients through nutmeg.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together the almond milk, eggs and agave.
4. Add the dry ingredients to the bowl with the wet ingredients and stir until well combined.
5. Coat a 13×9 inch-baking pan generously with non-stick cooking spray.
6. Pour the mixture into the pan and bake for 30 minutes.
7. Let cool for 30 minutes before cutting into squares (3 x 5 rows). Store in foil or plastic sandwich bags.
Jessica Cerra is the owner of Fit Food by Jess, a private chef and catering company in Encinitas, Calif. She is also a professional Xterra triathlete and mountain biker. Follow Jess’ recipes on her “Fit Food by Jess” Facebook page.
Get the latest in triathlon training, gear, nutrition and news sent straight to your inbox. Sign up for Triathlete’s newsletter.