Dates, walnuts, carrots, apples, zucchini and cinnamon are just a few of the reasons you will rise for these muffins. If you aren’t on a gluten-free diet, whole wheat pastry flour and regular oats may replace the top two ingredients. Both variations will ensure you start your day with a smile.
2 1/4 cups brown rice flour
1/2 cup gluten free whole rolled oats
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1 cup walnut pieces
1/2 cup dates, finely chopped
1/3 cup coconut oil
1 cup buttermilk
1 egg white
1/4 cup agave
1/4 cup grade B maple syrup
1 small carrot, grated
1/2 apple, grated
1 very small or 1/2 large zucchini, grated
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare two muffin tins with a generous amount of non-stick cooking spray. Muffin cups may also be used.
2. Mix dry ingredients through cinnamon in large bowl. Toss walnuts and dates in the dry ingredients to coat thoroughly (this ensures they won’t sink to the bottom of the muffin when baking).
3. In a medium bowl, melt coconut oil in the microwave (45 seconds). Whisk in all wet ingredients through maple syrup. Then stir in carrot, apple and zucchini.
4. Fill each muffin cup to the top with batter. This recipe makes about 15-17 muffins, so you won’t use both muffin tins completely.
5. Bake 18-20 minutes until golden on top. You can check the middle by inserting a knife, and it should come out clean.
*Note: Very important not to over bake these or they will get dry. Best to under bake slightly and remove from muffin tins immediately into a baking dish. Cover with saran wrap to lock in moisture. Store in the fridge after one day to keep fresh.
*Note: You can use raisins instead of dates, or add raisins, other nuts, flax seed etc.
Jessica Cerra is the owner of Fit Food by Jess, a private chef and catering company in Encinitas, Calif. She is also a professional Xterra triathlete and mountain biker. Follow Jess’ recipes on her “Fit Food by Jess” Facebook page.
Get the latest in triathlon training, gear, nutrition and news sent straight to your inbox. Sign up for Triathlete’s newsletter.