What makes this salad special is the combination of flavors and textures. Warm roasted veggies combined with crisp jicama, juicy tomatoes and creamy cheese create the perfect platform for the tangy vinaigrette. So go ahead and eat your veggies in this delicious way.
6 cups spring mix, spinach or baby kale
2 cups butternut squash, cubed
2 large carrots, peeled and cut in half lengthwise
1 large zucchini, cut in half lengthwise
1 red pepper, halved and seeds removed
1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
½ cup jicama finely diced
¼ cup queso fresco crumbled
2 tablespoons pepita seeds (pumpkin seeds)
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon champagne or white balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1 teaspoon cumin powder
1 teaspoon agave
salt and pepper
RELATED: Warm Potato And Green Bean Salad Recipe
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Prepare a large, rimmed baking sheet with foil and non-stick cooking spray.
2. Toss the butternut squash, carrot, zucchini, and red pepper with 1 tablespoon olive oil and a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Spread onto the baking sheet and roast for 10-15 minutes. Some of the veggies may take longer to roast and soften.
3. Remove, let cool slightly and dice veggies into small pieces. Toss with the cherry tomatoes, jicama, queso fresco and pepita seeds.
4. In a blender combine the rest of the olive oil with the vinegar, lime juice, cumin powder, agave, and a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Blend for 30 seconds.
5. Put the greens in a large bowl. Toss with the dressing. Serve on a platter with the veggie mixture over the top.
Jessica Cerra is the owner of Fit Food by Jess, a private chef and catering company in Encinitas, Calif. She is also a professional Xterra triathlete and mountain biker. Follow Jess’ recipes on her “Fit Food by Jess” Facebook page.
Get the latest in triathlon training, gear, nutrition and news sent straight to your inbox. Sign up for Triathlete’s newsletter.