Switzerland’s Ruedi Wild and the United States’ Sarah Haskins were the fastest on the day in St. Petersburg against tough fields at the 2014 St. Anthony’s Triathlon.
With a prize purse of $65,000 and the chance to earn points toward qualification for August’s 5150 Hy-Vee U.S. Championship up for grabs, several short-course and long-course stars came out to race.
The men’s podium was made up of all former Olympians. Wild competed near the front of the race all day, excelling on the run to take the prestigious victory. His 19:33 swim, 53:58 bike and 31:41 run gave him the 1:46:46 victory. Australia’s Brad Kahlefeldt earned the silver spot, with Hunter Kemper finishing as the top American in third.
“On the run, I was quite confident so I didn’t push too hard at the beginning and saved some energy,” said Wild at the finish line. “I never gave up, I stayed positive.”
In the women’s race, Haskins continued her impressive comeback after having a baby last year. She’s now four-for-four in 2014 thanks to a 19:49 swim, a 59:23 bike and a 35:55 run, giving her the 1:56:44 victory. Demmark’s Helle Frederiksen had a well-rounded day to finish second. The Czech Republic’s Radka Vodickova had the fastest run of the women, earning the third-place spot.
“I was really going out for the win and to do my best,” said Haskins, who set a course record for women, at 1:56:44. “Racing and having a family brings so much balance. It centers me. I love being a mom – it’s my favorite job. And I love racing. I love that I get to do both.”
St. Anthony’s Triathlon
St. Petersburg, Fla. – April 27, 2014
1.5K swim, 40K bike, 10K run
1. Ruedi Wild (SUI) 1:46:46
2. Brad Kahlefeldt (AUS) 1:47:09
3. Hunter Kamper (USA) 1:47:19
4. Rudolphe Von Berg (ITA) 1:47:38
5. Tim O’Donnell (USA) 1:47:52
6. Kaleb Vanort (USA) 1:48:04
7. Cameron Dye (USA) 1:48:17
8. James Seear (AUS) 1:48:35
9. Mark Bowstead (AUS) 1:48:52
10. Clayton Fettell (AUS) 1:49:08
1. Sarah Haskins (USA) 1:56:44
2. Helle Frederiksen (DEN) 1:57:06
3. Radka Vodickova (CZE) 1:59:17
4. Alicia Kaye (USA) 2:00:18
5. Sara McLarty (USA) 2:03:00
6. Jillian Petersen (USA) 2:02:05
7. Mirinda Carfrae (AUS) 2:03:39
8. Laura Bennett (USA) 2:04:33
9. Rebeccah Wassner (USA) 2:05:16
10. Lauren Brandon (USA) 2:06:46