Try this twist on the classic spinach and feta burger by replacing the spinach with kale and adding some protein with a dose of quinoa. Serve it up in a salad, as a sandwich or even try it with eggs.
Serving Suggestion: serve over greens with a sunny side-up egg and your favorite salsa, as pictured.
16 ounce bag frozen kale, defrosted
1 cup cooked quinoa
15 ounce can white beans, drained and rinsed
½ cup feta cheese
2 eggs, beaten
½ yellow onion, finely diced
½ tablespoon garlic, finely minced
1 tablespoon olive oil
½ cup dry white wine (chardonnay)
½ teaspoon salt and pepper
½ tablespoon yellow curry powder or cumin
1. Heat the oil over medium heat in a large sauté pan. Add the onion, salt and pepper and cook for 5 minutes, until golden. Add the garlic and curry powder or cumin and cook another minute until fragrant.
2. In a colander, push all of the water out of the kale with a paper towel.
3. Add the kale, white beans and wine in the pan and sauté 7-8 minutes until the wine has been fully absorbed.
4. Add this mixture to a food processor (or use a mixer) with the quinoa, feta and eggs.
5. Pulse for about 10-15 seconds until the mixture starts to bind together, but isn’t completely smooth.
6. Form 4-6 patties from the mixture. The patties can be pan seared over medium heat, with a small amount of oil in the pan, for about 3-5 minutes per side. Or, bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes.
Jess Cerra is the owner of Fit Food by Jess, a private chef and catering company in Encinitas, Calif. Jess recently launched Harmony Bar, and all natural gluten-and soy free bar designed to tasted like a soft baked cookie. She is an ex-professional XTERRA triathlete and mountain biker, and current elite amateur road cyclist for the SPY GIANT RIDE p/b MRI Endurance team. Follow Jess’ recipes on her “Fit Food by Jess” Facebook page, as well as the “Harmony Bar” Facebook page. Also on twitter @fitfoodbyjess and @harmonybars.