This scone recipe provides all the comforts of the flaky treat, but with some healthier ingredients than the classic. Vibrant raspberries and a zip of lemon zest bring these scones to life, so whip up a batch to have on hand for a quick breakfast with eggs or Greek yogurt throughout the week. Also, check out the modifications below to make them gluten-free.
Yields 12 scones
1 ¼ cups rolled oats
¾ cup all-purpose flour
¾ cup whole-wheat pastry flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
¼ cup brown sugar
½ cup almond milk
1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
½ teaspoon real vanilla extract
zest of one large lemon
1 ½ cups fresh or frozen raspberries
*For Gluten-Free scones add ¾ teaspoon xanthan gum and substitute the following:
rolled oats: gluten free rolled oats
all-purpose flour: white rice flour
whole-wheat pastry flour: brown rice flour
1. Heat oven to 425 degrees. Prepare a cookie sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients through salt.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients through lemon zest.
4. Make a well in the dry ingredients, pour the wet ingredients in and stir with a wooden spoon until combined.
5. Add the raspberries and stir gently until they are combined into the mixture.
6. Using a large ice-cream scoop, scoop balls of scone mixture onto the baking sheet. Then use the wooden spoon to gently flatten the balls, just slightly, so they can cook evenly through. If the dough crumbles, use clean hands to form it back together.
7. Bake for 12-14 minutes, until center is cooked through. Remove from oven and let rest on baking sheet 2-3 minutes. Using a spatula, remove from the baking sheet and let cool on a wire rack.
Jess Cerra is the owner of Fit Food by Jess, a private chef and catering company in Encinitas, Calif. Jess recently launched Harmony Bar, and all natural gluten-and soy free bar designed to tasted like a soft baked cookie. She is an ex-professional XTERRA triathlete and mountain biker, and current elite amateur road cyclist for the SPY GIANT RIDE p/b MRI Endurance team. Follow Jess’ recipes on her “Fit Food by Jess” Facebook page, as well as the “Harmony Bar” Facebook page. Also on twitter @fitfoodbyjess and @harmonybars.