It was a close day of racing at Ironman 70.3 New Orleans, with American Andy Potts and Lauren Barnett ultimately coming out on top.
Potts’ day consisted of a 22:08 swim, a 2:06:45 bike and a 1:18:38 run, giving him the 3:50:36 win. Fellow American Ben Hoffman had an impressive race, ultimately running a 1:16:48 half marathon to claim second. Canada’s Trevor Wurtele made up for a slower swim with the fastest bike split of the day (2:06:45) to finish third.
Barnett turned in a 29:09 swim, a 2:22:40 bike and a 1:26:22 run to edge out fellow American Sarah Piampiano for the 4:21:34 victory. Piampiano earned her runner-up spot one minute later, with American Hallie Blunck finishing in third thanks to a well-rounded day.
Ironman 70.3 New Orleans
New Orleans, La. – April 13, 2014
1.2-mile swim, 56-mile bike, 13.1-mile run
1. Andy Potts (USA) 3:50:36
2. Ben Hoffman (USA) 3:51:46
3. Trevor Wurtele (CAN) 3:55:51
4. Tom Lowe (GBR) 3:56:56
5. Mark Bowstead (NZL) 3:57:58
1. Lauren Barnett (USA) 4:21:34
2. Sarah Piampiano (USA) 4:22:35
3. Hallie Blunck (USA) 4:23:20
4. Laurel Wassner (USA) 4:24:48
5. Haley Chura (USA) 4:27:17