Shin Splints Treatment, Exercises And Prevention

  • By Dr. Jordan D. Metzl, M.D.
  • Published Apr 22, 2014
  • Updated Apr 22, 2014 at 5:52 PM UTC

When To Call A Doctor

For bone-related pain, it’s best to get a doctor’s diagnosis because then you’ll know the severity of the injury. You’ll need an MRI to determine if a stress fracture is present because stress fractures don’t show up on X-rays unless they’re very severe or healing. Your doctor may also do a bone-density scan (using DEXA, dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry).

New York City sports medicine specialist  Jordan D. Metzl, M.D. is a 29-time marathon runner and 10-time Ironman finisher. His new book, The Athlete’s Book of Home Remedies, has more than 1,000 tips to fix all types of injuries and medical conditions.

« Previous

FILED UNDER: Injury Prevention / Training TAGS: / /

Sign up for our free e-newsletter, SBR Report!

Subscribe to the FREE Triathlete newsletter