Grill it: Pizzas
Love pizza? Wait till you try it on the grill. These 10 steps make it easy:
1) Prepare a bowl of olive oil for brushing pizza dough and grill plates.
2) Get pizza toppings ready to go: sauce, cheese, herbs, meats, vegetables. Tip: Grill veggie toppings first.
3) Roll out prepared pizza dough on a floured surface. Keep dough flat, without a rimmed crust. Brush both sides with olive oil. Tip: Find prepared dough in specialty stores or by request from your favorite pizza restaurant.
4) Slide dough onto a floured or cornmeal-covered cookie sheet (without rims) and poke holes in the dough with a fork.
5) Heat grill to medium-high heat and brush (a paper towel works) the grates with olive oil.
6) Slide the dough onto the grill and cook for about two minutes. Rotate dough 90 degrees and cook another one to two minutes until dough starts to bubble.
7) Using the cookie sheet, remove dough from grill. Flip raw side down.
8) On the grilled side (now facing up), add sauce, toppings and cheese. Tip: Limit sauce to one cup or pizza may get soggy.
9) Turn grill heat to medium, and re-brush grates with olive oil.
10) Slide pizza back onto grill and let cook for 2–3 minutes with the cover closed, until cheese is melted and bubbling.
RECIPE: Chicken sausage, red pepper and Crimini mushroom pizza
Grill one red pepper, let cool, remove seeds and slice. Slice two precooked chicken sausages. Top pizza with one cup prepared bruschetta sauce, chicken sausage, red pepper, and one cup sliced crimini mushrooms. Place quarter-sized dollops of low-fat ricotta cheese around the pizza. Thinly slice fresh mozzarella cheese and layer conservatively around the pizza. Once grilled, top with fresh arugula.
Get the latest in triathlon training, gear, nutrition and news sent straight to your inbox. Sign up for Triathlete’s newsletter.