Australia’s Tim Reed and Canada’s Angela Naeth swam, bike and ran their way to wins at Sunday’s Ironman 70.3 Buffalo Springs in two close races.
Reed combined a 23:40 swim, a 2:12:22 bike and a 1:21:33 half-marathon to narrowly take the 3:59:58 victory. Rapp came into T2 with a narrow lead over Reed, but couldn’t match the speed on the run and finished second at 4:00:28. American Jesse Thomas, who has a heavy racing schedule and is chasing points toward qualification for this fall’s Ironman 70.3 World Championship, had the fastest half-marathon (1:20:12) on the tough run and finished third at 4:02:54.
Naeth came off of the bike 37 seconds down of Margaret Shapiro and ran her down with a 1:30:40 run split to earn the 4:27:14 win. Shapiro finished second at 4:28:32, with American Lauren Barnett rounding out the top three at 4:29:58.
2014 Ironman 70.3 Buffalo Springs Lake
Lubbock, Texas – June 29, 2014
1.2-mile swim, 56-mile bike, 13.1-mile run
1. Tim Reed (AUS) 3:59:58
2. Jordan Rapp (USA) 4:00:28
3. Jesse Thomas (USA) 4:02:54
4. Mark Bowstead (NZL) 4:03:19
5. Joe Umphenour (USA) 4:08:02
1. Angela Naeth (CAN) 4:27:14
2. Margaret Shapiro (USA) 4:28:32
3. Lauren Barnett (USA) 4:29:58
4. Jennifer Spieldenner (USA) 4:37:05
5. Corrie Kristick (USA) 4:56:26