Why You Should Drink More Smoothies
- You can mix and match ingredients and incorporate many whole foods such as fruit, flaxseeds, chia seeds, hemp seeds, protein and greens into a smoothie.
– Smoothies use less of the body’s energy for digestion because ingredients are broken down by a blender.
– They can be made creamy and delicious by adding nut butters, seeds, nuts, coconut oil or avocado, which will also give your diet a boost of healthy fats.
– Smoothies are a good use for frozen fruit, which is “flash frozen,” meaning that the fruit is frozen as soon as it is picked so that it retains its nutrients.
– You can easily get in your omega-3s. A tablespoon of ground flax, chia or hemp seeds added to a smoothie is a simple way to get a dose of omega-3 fatty acids, protein and fiber.
RELATED – Eat Right: Six Smart Snacks
San Diego triathlete Leslie Myers is the chef-owner of Foodsense, Now! and runs Juice Nation, an organic juice and smoothie bar.
Get the latest in triathlon training, gear, nutrition and news sent straight to your inbox. Sign up for Triathlete’s newsletter.