Sometimes the simplest recipe preparations can be the most satisfying. This recipe is ideal for the lifestyle of a busy endurance athlete. A quick preparation, which makes multiple portions, delivers a colorful, flavorful and nutrient-dense meal.
Customize: Recommended to serve over brown rice, quinoa, sweet potatoes or stone ground corn chips. Try topping with shredded or crumbled Mexican cheese and avocado slices.
Makes 4 servings
1 package (16-20 oz) 93% lean ground turkey
1 TBSP chili powder
½ TBSP ground cumin
½ tsp sea salt
¼ tsp fresh cracked pepper
1 package (8-10 oz) arugula or spinach
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
4 cobs corn
2 tomatoes, diced
2 yellow bell peppers, diced
¼ cup freshly chopped cilantro
½ cup favorite salsa
3 TBSP olive oil
2 TBSP balsamic vinegar
1. Heat grill to medium-high. Remove husks from corn, place directly on grill and char on each side for about 2 minutes.
2. Stand corn up in a bowl or plastic container. Run a knife down the corn to remove kernels. *Corn can also be used raw, or simply cooked in the microwave.
3. In a large skillet over medium heat, sauté turkey with the chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper, for about 10 minutes until fully cooked through. Use a wooden spoon to break turkey apart.
4. To prepare dressing, whisk together the salsa, olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
5. To prepare each salad, divide the arugula or spinach into bowls or plastic containers. Sprinkle 1 TBSP of cilantro over the top of each.
6. Top each with ¼ of the turkey, black beans, corn, tomatoes and bell peppers.
7. Serve with the salsa dressing and any optional toppings.
Jessica Cerra is the owner of Fit Food by Jess, a private chef and catering company in Encinitas, Calif., and the co-founder of Harmony Bar. A former professional XTERRA triathlete, Cerra now races for Twenty16 Women’s Professional Cycling Team.